It’s Time for Independent Reading and Exploring the World Around You!
Second graders continue to move towards becoming learners that are responsible and self-motivated. Second grade students are challenged to develop critical thinking skills in all academic subject areas as they develop creative ways to solve problems. They explore various critical thinking scenarios including finding out how to take the shell off an egg, seeing how forces like wind work on various objects, and creating a model of earth from edible objects. Teachers help students to love Jesus by experiencing His grace and mercy and to love each other by respecting and serving one another. Teachers help them become life-long learners by providing creative, challenging and innovative classroom experiences.
Second Grade Learning Opportunities
- Social Studies focuses on government and geography even creating and painting different land forms
- Fun and interactive Physical Education that includes games and sports skills including stretching and conditioning
- Writing and vocabulary skills are expanded upon by keeping journals from fun and thought provoking writing prompts
- Science focuses on space, chemical science, magnetism and matter
- Math emphasizes and hones addition and subtraction skills by expanding into three and four digits
- Reading is reinforced through small groups and independent reading time which includes sitting or lounging on pillows and carpets
- Keyboarding skills and technology lessons through online games and programs to help instill classroom lessons as well as skills in exploring and accessing websites
- Weekly art, music, library, spanish and technology